The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a technology that has become a part of our lives. It is important because every person uses GPS technology to go anywhere and anytime. GPS is a navigation system based on satellites that is controlled by the Air Force and our government. These satellites are situated at a height of 20, 000 km above the Earth and move at a speed of 14,000 km per hour. The organizations involved in how GPS functions are:
- A situation’s location is tracked by three satellites.
- The fourth satellite is used to confirm the satellites’ intended locations.
- Control system (run by the American military).
Pros of the Global Positioning System (GPS)
- Accurate Navigation: It has greatly improved the efficiency and accuracy of travel and transportation.
- Increased Safety: GPS helps with emergency response and safety.
- Location-Based Services: GPS enables a wide range of location-based services.
- Asset Tracking:- is used to track the location and movement of assets, such as vehicles, equipment, and shipments.
- Military and Defense: GPS is essential for military operations because it allows for accurate time coordination, personnel movement, and rocket guidance.
- Cost Effective:- Costs are very low as compared to other navigation systems.
Cons of the Global Positioning System (GPS)
- Signal Blockage: Signals can be blocked or weakened by tall buildings or issues in urban environments.
- Privacy Concern: Using GPS for tracking individuals or vehicles has raised privacy concerns.
- Maintenance and Updates: GPS systems require periodic updates to remain accurate and reliable. This can be costly and time-consuming.
- Initial Setup and Cost: For some consumers or organizations, the initial expense of purchasing and installing GPS technology can be challenging.
- Requires advanced devices − The devices it will be installed upon should be technically smart and advanced.
CPS technology has completely changed the way we navigate, communicate, and play. It has advantages in terms of convenience, safety, and efficiency. To make the most of GPS in our daily lives, we must balance its advantages with any potential drawbacks, as with any technology.
Read More: SMS Technology and Its Effect on Literacy